MATCH REPORT: CHELSEA FC 1 – 1 FC SCHALKE 04
A match everyone expected to go the either way went the neither way. Chelsea FC were held to a 1 – 1 draw at Stamford bridge when they played their first group stage match of the Uefa Champions League against Schalke 04. Didier Drogba who won us the UCL in 2012 Led the team upfront but didn’t perform to expectations.
Early goal from Cesc Fabregas saw Chelsea through the first-half but wasn’t enough to defeat the German side. Chelsea’s performance in the first-half and early second-half was scintillating before FC Schalke took control of possession. Later, a great counter-attack was played alongside the Dutch international Klaas-Jan Hunterlaar which saw the ball after an hour in the game.
• The first opportunity came on the 8minutes when Drogba cross reached Ramires. He tried to shoot but didn’t connect well with the ball.
• 2 minutes later Cesc Fabregas scored his first goal for Chelsea. Hazard supplied the pass and Fabregas did the rest by placing the ball at the back of the net. The home team were ahead with just ten minutes played
• A superb delivery by Filipe Luis finds Drogba but the Ivorian’s header was straight at Fahrmann in the Schalke goal.
• Another great delivery came in from Filipe Luis, this time Ivanovic heads over the bar. A good chance also came for Fabregas to double his goal but the midfielder blasts the ball over the bar.
• Schalke came on 39th minute with a possibility through Boateng but Courtois made a good save.
• In the 45th minute Draxler found his way skilfully through our defenders, fortunately the shot was dragged wide the goal post.
• Great ball by Fabregas releases Hazard, who exchanges passes with Drogba before bending one over the bar.
• Boateng, as he did before the break, tried his luck from distance, but once again Courtois was equal to it.
• Drogba went close, raced on to Hazard’s flighted ball and rolling his effort some inches past the far post.
• Over one hour gone as Fabregas was pushed off the ball Draxler broke; he slipped in Huntelaar and the striker cut inside and dispatched his strike.
• Almost a stunning entrance by Remy as his strike is headed off the line.
• A brilliant run by Remy, whose cross evades everybody. Moments later Hazard volleys over the bar from a great position.
• A stunning ball by Fabregas over the top, Hazard gets on the end of it but Fahrmann somehow manages to claw it away.
• Ivanovic and Terry were not far away with headers in the dying minutes.
And the Referee Signalled the End of the match.
FT: CHELSEA FC 1-1 FC SCHALKE 04
Chelsea (4-2-3-1): Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Filipe Luis; Matic, Fabregas; Ramires
(Oscar 67), Willian (Remy 73), Hazard; Drogba (Diego Costa 73).
Unused subs: Cech, Zouma, Azpilicueta, Mikel.
Scorers: Fabregas 11
Booked Terry 59, Willian 71.
Schalke: (4-2-3-1): Fahrmann; Hoger, Ayhan,
Neustadter, Fuchs; Boateng, Aogo; Sam
(Barnetta 77), Meyer (Choupo-Moting 73),
Draxler (Obasi 86); Huntelaar (c).
Unused subs Wetklo, Friedrich, Clemens,Avdijaj.
Scorer Huntelaar 62.
Booked Huntelaar 12, Boateng 26, Hoger 87.
Referee: Ivan Bebek from Croatia
Were you disappointed with the scoreline? Why?
What are your thoughts on the match?
Start or join a conversation below!!!
#Win or #Lose #CFC.