MATCH REPORT: MANCHESTER CITY 1-1 CHELSEA FC
Former Chelsea favourite Frank Lampard scored a late equaliser for City, who had Pablo Zabaleta sent off for two yellow cards midway through the second half. Andre Schurrle gave Chelsea the lead shortly afterwards, before Lampard struck to share the points.
• For the first 7 minutes, City dominated the possession. The first opportunity came when Kolarov found space on the left and crossed it to Dzeko but was headed wide. City started the match very well.
• A Chelsea attack broke down rather meekly and City attacked down the right, Milner passed the ball to Dzeko and the striker turns adroitly and sees his effort from 20 yards deflected for a corner. Silva kicked the ball to the near post, and Toure’s header went goal ward but straight at Courtois.
• A careless pass from Willian gave City a chance gain possession of the ball.
It came to Milner on the right side of the area, but his firm cross was collected by Courtois.
• Yet another City corner. This time they take it short. Silva diddles in
from the right and chips a cross into the area. Terry heads it clear but only
as far as Aguero, whose awkward volley from the left flies high and wide.
• Hazard ghosts past Dzeko, then Zabaleta, who brings him down just
outside the area at the expense of a booking. Fabregas’s free-kick from the
left was headed by Cahill and hits a City defender’s hand. Chelsea appealed for a penalty but Mike Dean wasn’t interested.
• Half time: Man city 0 0 Chelsea Fc
A lot of City pressure, a lot of good Chelsea defending, a lot of carelessness, a lot of fouls, a lot of bookings and a lot of caginess.
• City took a short corner on the left. Milner’s cross was shuffled clear but Fernandinho charges on to the loose ball and rasps one just wide from 20 yard. Courtois stood and watched.
• After a scramble, the ball came to Aguero in the area and he turned sharply before smashing a low shot towards the bottom-left corner. Courtois was down quickly to parry back into the six-yard box and Ramires was alive to the danger, brilliantly denying Dzeko a tap-in.
• Costa did well to find Hazard in space on the right and his brilliant low ball to the far post was tapped home by Schurrle from close range!
Goal! Man city 0 – 1 Chelsea FC [Shuttle 71′]
• Fabregas played a reverse pass to him on the edge of the area and although he was under pressure from Milner, he took the ball in his stride and screwed his shot past Hart but against the base of the post.
• Silva lofted a pass over the top to Milner, who had run away from Schurrle. Milner cushioned it across and there was Lampard to volley past Courtois!
He doesn’t celebrate.
Goal! Man City 1 – 1 Chelsea FC
• A loose ball fell to him in the area after more good work from Milner but this time Lampard’s heart didn’t seem to be in it, and his scuffed shot was blocked.
• Lampard hit another shot from 30yard but went Wide.
Centre referee, Mike Dean signalled the end of the match.
FULL-TIME: MAN CITY 1-1 CHELSEA FC
Chelsea (4-2-3-1): Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Azpilicueta; Ramires (Mikel 62), Matic; Willian (Schurrle 62), Fabregas, Hazard; Diego Costa (Drogba 85).
Unused subs Cech, Filipe Luis, Oscar, Remy.
Scorer Schurrle 70
Booked Ramires 35, Matic 40, Diego Costa 66, Ivanovic 76.
Man City (4-4-2): Hart; Zabaleta, Kompany (c), Mangala, Kolarov (Lampard 76); Milner, Toure, Fernandinho (Navas 72), Silva; Aguero, Dzeko (Sagna 70).
Unused subs Caballero, Clichy, Demichelis, Nasir.
Scorer Lampard 85
Booked Fernandinho 10, Zabaleta 32, David Silva 40, Toure 44.
Referee Mike Dean