West London Derby Preview: Chelsea FC Vs Fulham
After two consecutive losses, we go into our local derby this Saturday against non other than Fulham in Barclay’s Premier League. And there is huge pressure on the Blues to win the game and get the 3 points at Stamford Bridge to ease the pain of the TWO consecutive losses in previous matches. Although it’s not a crisis as Jose pointed out in his press conference, it’s not positive in any way losing matches of those caliber when we could have easily won with the qualities we have in the squad. The last time we beat Fulham at home was in the 2009/10 season in a campaign we finished as Double Champions of England.
Time: September 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM (ET), 5:30 PM (GMT), 9:30 AM (Pakistan), 1:30 AM (BST)
Venue: Stamford Bridge, London, England.
TV Info: UK – Sky Sports 1/HD, Sky Go, Sky Sports 1 Ireland, BBC 1 | US – DirecTV, NBC Sports Network, SiriusXM FC, NBC Sports Live Extra, TalkSport Radio, Mun2 | Australia – TalkSports Radio, Fox Sports 1 Australia | Germany – Sky Sport 1, Sky Go, Sky Sport 1 HD | United Arab Emirates – Al Jazeraa Sport HD1, Al Jazeraa Sport HD6 | India –
Chelsea squad news: Once again in the premier league, Jose Mourinho will have a full squad of players to choose from with also Ramires back in the fold after missing the mid-week Champions League upset through suspension. Mourinho said of this derby, “We need points, they also need points, they have different objectives to us but between the needs of the two teams and the fact it’s a local derby, it will be a proper Premier League match.”
Fulham Squad news: without a handful of First Team regulars after Bryan Ruiz joined Maarten Stekelenburg, Aaron Hughes and Matthew Briggs in the treatment room, while Dimitar Berbatov faces a test on a hamstring strain to determine whether or not he’ll be included in the squad. Striker Darren Bent will be back in contention, though, after sitting out last Saturday’s 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion.
- In the Premier League Chelsea have won 28 points of the last 30 at Stamford Bridge.
- Last season’s corresponding fixture at Stamford Bridge ended in a borefest 0-0 draw in Rafa Benitez’s 2nd premier league game at home.
- If selected, John Terry will captain Chelsea for the 450th occasion tonight.
- Cesar Azpilicueta’s next appearance will be his 50th for Chelsea in all competitions.
- Fulham have drawn four of their last seven at the Bridge, including the most recent two. We have not scored more than one home league goal against them since Christmas 2009.
- The most recent west London derby was in mid-April at the Cottage, Chelsea running out easy 3-0 winners. David Luiz’s long-range beauty and John Terry’s TWO goals wrapped up the 3 points in a crucial period last season in battle for top 4 place.
- Eto’o could become the ninth African to score a Premier League goal for Chelsea (after Drogba, Kalou, Essien, Babayaro, Geremi, Weah, Ba and Moses).
- Although tested first defeat at Stamford Bridge in the Chelsea dug out, Mourinho has never lost a Premier League home game (W48 D14).
IN THE NUTSHELL:
Chelsea look to continue our impressive and dominant recent and all time history against our neighbors Fulham. Chelsea have won seven and lost none of the last 14 Premier League derbies with Fulham. The last time Fulham recorded a victory at the Bridge it was back in 1979. The Blues are set to respond to critics as journalists asked Jose Mourinho if there is a ‘crisis’ at Stamford Bridge. The Portuguese never short on answer in such situations responded emphatically….
“For me no crisis. For me two bad results.’
‘We lost nothing. We didn’t finish third in the Champions League group, we didn’t get relegated to the Europa League and we didn’t finish third in the Premier League. We lost a match we cannot lose, I agree completely. But we were not relegated to the Europa League. It is not the way you start it’s the way you finish. I’m worried because I lost and I don’t want to lose but it is the way it ends not the way it starts.”
Let’s hope we go back to winning ways soon and bounce back from the 2 consecutive defeats in the last two games which is rare of a team of the quality we have at our disposal. Thanks for reading and follow me on twitter (@FahmiCFC). KTBFFH!!!