|What We Learned From Arsenal Match : 29.9.2012|
12:45 GMT, Emirates Stadium… Arsenal v Chelsea. Halftime : 1-1. Full Time : 1-2. Lovely day at the Emirates for us. An all around fantastic performance from the Blues that kept us top of the league. There were many things to take away from the match :
1. John Terry is absolute class.
2. Juan Mata is still our key playmaker
3. Fernando Torres is back and firing.
4. Ramires-Mikel combination is great.
5. Can’t afford to sit back after scoring.
6. Ashley Cole is in top form.
1. John Terry is absolute class: Amidst all the criticism and difficulties this week, John Terry showed up and absolutely had an amazing match. He held the line brilliantly and didn’t make any errors. Terry never gave up and his presence when attacking was also key. Our captain proved why he is still one of the best defenders in history and certainly Chelsea’s best, ever. We will miss him if the 4 match ban is upheld.
2. Juan Mata is still our key playmaker: Juan Mata had an assist and a goal v Arsenal. Both were cheeky and brilliant. He never looked back after starting off fantastically. Mata didn’t have any major mistakes and finished with a 92 pass percentage, completing 47/52 passes. His assist to Torres was world class and the delivery had 3 men open. David Luiz had a chance, Terry was there and Torres bagged it. His goal was also brilliant. He delivered it towards the back-post and caught Mannone in no-man’s land as Koscielny got a slight touch, nevertheless it was goal bound.
3. Fernando Torres is back and firing: El Nino scored a magnificent volley while leading the line well and making some crucial passes. Vermaelen struggled with him as Torres won nearly every header he had. The service to Torres was there and he showed himself. He was incredibly fast and did make some errors, but he did however give us the goal that set the tone for the match. Torres’ presence was felt by everyone, it was certainly one of his best, if not best, performance in a Chelsea shirt.
4. Ramires-Mikel combination is great: Lampard was dropped in favor of Ramires who played alongside John Obi Mikel. That selection by Roberto Di Matteo was one of the best he could of made. Ramires and Mikel were crucial in our victory. They made very little mistakes and made the back 4’s job much much easier given that Terry was holding that down, brilliantly. We now know that Ramires is a CM and not a RW.
5. Can’t afford to sit back after scoring: After Torres’ goal, we ball-watched and sat back. We did make some crucial interventions and blocks, but the equalizer seemed imminent and Arsenal grabbed it. Arsenal pressed and pressed and we let them, occasionally a quick-free kick knocking us out. The cross that led to Gervinho’s goal was nothing special and we didn’t mark tight allowing him to turn and fire into the roof of the net. Nevertheless, our defense was magnificent. Sitting back must be controlled. Can’t sit back in the 1st half, 2nd half is fine as that’s our specialty.
6. Ashley Cole is in top form: AC3 returned to the Emirates and got his usual boos from The Gunners’ support. He responded with an immense performance and was never troubled by Arsenal’s thrusts forward. Him and Terry were influential in our magnificent back 4 display. More performances like this to come from England’s best left back.
Other Points :
1. Still defensively vulnerable at times
2. When attacking, we don’t always look like scoring
3. Moses is solidify his spot as a usual player (whether sub or starter)
In summary, Chelsea Football Club triumphed over Arsenal in a match that continues to show our league success and our battle to stay top of the league. 3 points to the Blues that proves that London is Chelsea Blue.