What We Learned From The Spurs Match : 20.10.2012
|What We Learned From The Spurs Match : 20.10.2012|
Andre, Andre What’s the score? 4-2 to Chelsea at 3 Point Lane. An absolute cracker led to yet another win for the Blues. There’s an array of things to take away from the match :
1. Mata is our key playmaker.
2. John Terry’s absence won’t be felt as hard as expected.
3. Torres getting closer to full form.
4. Ashley Cole as consistent as always.
5. Roberto Di Matteo is the man for the job.
6. Gary Cahill > David Luiz.
7. We are favorites for the EPL.
1. Mata is our key playmaker: 41 games, 30 assists for our Little Spaniard. 2 goals and an assist vs Spurs to back his 1 goal/1 assist game last week vs Arsenal. He just continues to play magnificent balls and make runs that open the opportunity for goals. He did miss a good chance in the 1st half after Freidel denied him the first time, but as the 2nd half Spurs were dominating us, he turned it around with 2 brilliant goals. Mata continues to pass the ball well and he has now scored three and assisted five goals for Chelsea in our last four Premier League games. Someone please explain to me, why is he not in the Spain squad?
2. John Terry’s absence won’t be felt as hard as expected: At first, I thought “No Terry, A lot of Problems”, but the back 4 today proved those worries wrong. The character and leadership will be missing, but Cech and Lampard are capable of leading us to victory as well. Cahill seems to be the ideal replacement for Terry and Luiz is holding himself well in the past couple of weeks. The true test of the absence of Terry will be felt v Manchester United (both League and Cup ties).
3. Torres getting closer to full form: He didn’t score today, but he held possession well. He did misplace a few passes, but overall it was a solid performance from El Nino. He is still 80-90% there to returning to “Vintage Torres”. He could of scored 1 v Tottenham, but Vertonghen denied him a chance at shooting. Despite this, I believe Torres is edging closer to his old-self and he is showing us that another striker might be needed, but certainly not a big name that would ultimately and immediately question his spot in the team.
4. Ashley Cole as consistent as always: 2 North London matches in the past 3 weeks and more boo’s for our number 3. His recent comments about the FA have put him under scrutiny, but Ashley Cole, like Terry, performs best under pressure. He continues to run up and down the left flank, pass well, defend just as well. Lennon did give him somewhat of a tough time, but he still held himself well when under pressure of the Spurs’ attack. Best left-back in England and the world.
5. Roberto Di Matteo is the man for the job: Robbie just continues to impress. 22 points out of 24 possible and 2 wins on the road in North London (Arsenal and Tottenham). He has started off in fantastic style and continues to show Roman why he is the man for the job. He has organized the team well, especially in defense as we hold the one of the best defenses in England and the world under him. Teams find it tough to break us down and score goals freely even though they create chances. One Di Matteo.
6. Gary Cahill > David Luiz: Another goal from our defensive players and this one was a stunner. Gary Cahill caught the volley well and blasted it home to open up the scoring. Luiz did have another good match, but was caught out on several occasions, Cahill did well with Defoe and has yet again proven why he deserves a spot in the XI.
7. We are favorites for the EPL: It might be early in the season, but I still believe we are on track to win the EPL and that we are the favorites to do it. We have shown what Champions are made of and I think we bring the trophy back to the Bridge as did Carlo in 2009/2010. It’s been a long time coming, but I feel that this is our year to do it. City and United are 7 points behind us (as things stand) and the closest they can come is 4 points if they both win. Either way, for me, it’s our year.
Other points :
1. Bad luck with referees.
2. Sturridge/Marin should get some playing time.
3. Ramires-Mikel combination is working well.
4. Petr Cech is immense.
5. Top of the League!
6. ANDRE, ANDRE WHAT’S THE SCORE?